Handbook of Language and Literacy Development - a Roadmap from 0 to 60 Months

children image

Where and How to Get Helpclick to print Print

The information contained on this website is intended to provide an introduction to children's communication development from birth to five years. If you have questions about your child's speech and language development after reading this information, contact a Speech-Language Pathologist.

Speech-Language Pathologists are professionals with specific training and experience in speech and language development. They work with children and their families and caregivers to determine whether a speech and language delay exists, and can provide treatment and education if a problem is found. They are employed throughout Canada in private clinics and in public agencies such as child development centres, preschools, schools, hospitals, public health units, and rehabilitation centres.

To find a Speech-Language Pathologist in your area, contact your local public health unit. Local schools will have information on services available for school-age children.

A great deal can be done to assist children who experience difficulty learning language. Early detection is vital. When in doubt, check it out!

Canadian Association of Speech-Language Pathologists and Audiologists (CASLPA) - Find a Professional