Handbook of Language and Literacy Development - a Roadmap from 0 to 60 Months

children image

Where and How to Get Helpclick to print Print

Written by: Veronica Smith, University of Alberta

The information contained on this website is intended to provide an introduction to children's communication development from birth to five years. If you have questions about your child's social and emotional development after reading this information, contact your Family Doctor who may refer you to a Developmental Paediatrician.

Developmental Paediatricians are medical doctors who have received additional training in child development. They work with families to obtain the correct diagnosis of a developmental delay or difference and to refer children to other specialists who will assist families with intervention. Developmental Paediatricians are employed throughout Canada in hospitals and private clinics. To find a Developmental Paediatrician in your area, contact your Family Doctor.

Social and emotional development contributes to many other aspects of development and a great deal can be done to assist children who experience difficulty or unusual social and emotional development. Early detection is vital. When in doubt, check it out!

Smith, V. (2008). When and How to Get Help for Children’s Social and Emotional Development. In L.M. Phillips (Ed.), Handbook of language and literacy development: A Roadmap from 0 – 60 Months. [online], p. 1. London, ON: Canadian Language and Literacy Research Network. Available at: Handbook of language and literacy development